Substance / Process Addictions
More often than not, addictions start small, out of curiosity or peer pressure, or even just a source of comfort, which eventually becomes a need or a compulsion. Whatever your drug of choice (DOC), substance or process, there is a better way to live.
Addiction/compulsion symptoms and behaviors include, among others:
- Feeling the need to use regularly, which can be weekly, daily or multiple times a day
- Having intense urges to use
- Over time, using/doing more to get the same effect
- Making certain that your DOC is readily available at all times
- Not meeting obligations and work responsibilities
- Doing things you wouldn’t normally do to use, such as lying, stealing, manipulating people you love
- Focusing more and more time and energy on getting, arranging, doing or using
- Experiencing withdrawal symptoms (even for process addictions) when not using or doing
- Failed attempts to quit using or doing
If you can relate to any of the above symptoms or behaviors, it may be time to consider addiction counseling.
As a therapist, I will address the emotional root of your addiction and the related areas of impaired functioning, and together we’ll structure the time and content of your ongoing recovery.
I believe that there are many paths to successful recovery that will work with your goals and desires, and ensure you can make the life changes you want to make. Contact me today for a free consultation.